a growing conviction, a Rose by another name is perhaps not a rose:
Why do we call the resurrection of the Christ "Easter" if Easter is derived from "Eoster"?
some pages to chew on (*note - these links do not say I wholeheartedly agree or endorse what is contained on these sites)
http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/JO-Eo.html
(NEW 03-20) http://www.shalom-peace.com/easter.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/sunnysweb/ostar.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eostre
or Google it yourself.
I think I'll stick with "Resurrection Sunday"
Read the first link you gave -- very interesting, and not a little disturbing to ponder just how many pagan rituals we've co-opted. We just blithely go along with the colored eggs, the baskets, etc., telling ourselves we don't really believe all that old pagan stuff anymore, and so it's OK to keep up the "tradition."
ReplyDeleteI like Resurrection Sunday more and more, as well.
I have heard of this many years ago and I think it's all very interesting. Some folk will not celebrate any holidays because of their pagan origins and I guess that has to be between they and the Lord. Christmas has many roots in paganism as well you will find... But I think there is something very historically spiritual and incredibly awesome about how Christ came into these cultures and totally turned around their major holidays (and lives obviously). So much so, that it changed the way cultures thousands of miles away and hundreds of years later celebrate holidays today! I think it's a neat picture of how the Lord Jesus comes into our life and changes ashes into beauty! Only HE could do that! When I think of Easter, and yes, I will say Easter, because it is the American Holiday that has IT'S roots in Christ's death and resurection... when I think of Easter, I do think of Spring. I think of all the things of Spring, eggs, bunnies, chickies and all the cute little typical "Easter" decorations as awesome symbols of NEW LIFE, Which I received after God covered my sins and made me white as snow (winter) He allows me to grow in His grace and live a new life with Him. Spring. Just some thoughts. This was fun. I am thankful for a day to remember ever more what Christ did for me. But obviously this should be remembered that way every single day of my life. Thank you Jesus!!
ReplyDelete